If you browse through the various stages of design of the armrests, you'll notice, and may think, that our armrest is a copy of another companies armrests. Please be aware that this is definitely not so ...our armrests are our design, any other company selling an armrest that is similar has copied our design....I say this with absolute certainty because we used to supply them with our armrests.
- Back in early 2000 was when I made my 1st prototype flip up passenger armrests , fabricated and handmade. Besides being able to flip up and down it was also adjustable, ie, the angle of the tube with the pad on it could be raised and lowered with the turn of a bolt. I've still got the original, albeit a bit rusted now, see photo below.
- My 2nd version of the passenger armrests changed in early 2001, changed to a square tube rather than a round tube. This version didn't flip up and down and was just bolted firmly to the backrest. The pad base and upholstery was all hand made at that stage.
- The 3rd version of the passenger armrests was changed in late 2001 to incorporate a hinged bracket that allowed the armrests to flip up and down, and also to be quickly detached from the backrest. The pads were still being hand made and later were changed to a molded Polyurethane, water proof and UV resistant pad.
The current version of the quick detach passenger armrests was changed in 2012. It has a slightly different shape which was changed to give it extra strength. This new design will now will fit more backrests due to a larger mounting bracket, and, it's now made from high quality Stainless Steel. Rusting and chrome peel or bubbling is no longer a concern.
I'm proud of my products, especially the passenger armrests
which I have personally developed through my own biking experiences and passenger needs. There are some people and businesses who've blatantly attempted to copy my design and concept, and I take this very personal. To them I say, design your own product, don't copy a product from someone else. I own the world wide copyright and intellectual property rights to my design.
Beware of the replicas, and, in particular, referring to the armrests, anyone or any company that is selling an armrest that is similar to, or, the same as the armrest which I now sell, or have sold in the past, is copying my design. I do not condone or consent to this practice, and reserve my rights to pursue any such person for damages.
- In early 2001 I made the 1st set of Honda Valkyrie Forward Controls. To the best of my knowledge, the Forward Controls (2 versions) which we make are the only forward controls available for sale anywhere in the world. Tried and tested on my own Valkyrie and only offered for sale when I was satisfied with them. Once again, over the years I've designed, altered and changed, and developed a few different versions, to end up where they are now. Of the 2 versions now offered on the Big Bike Things website, each version is different in that one moves the controls forward to the front crash bars and will suit anyone taller than about 5'10" , whereas, the other version will suit shorter riders and only moves the controls forward by about 10".
- Honda Valkyrie Cruiser Bar made in 2000.
- Seat rail (Double Rail) for a Standard Valkyrie seat, Mustang, Russell Day Long etc made in 2000.
- Seat rail (Double Rail) for a Corbin Seat made in early 2002.
- Honda Interstate passenger armrests made in 2003.
- Interstate Trunk Rails made in 2003.
- Air Deflectors (Adjustable) made in 2003.
- Light Bar made in 2003.
- Exhaust Tips made in 2004.
- Passenger grab bars made in 2006.
- Etc .....
All of the other bits and pieces which I make have also had their changes. Being a biker myself I think it makes it easier to understand what will and what won't appeal to riders.
What's new or in the pipeline.... another set of passenger armrests I'm busy with, not to replace the existing version, but to offer a different style. And also, a set of universal passenger grab bars that will fit a lot of different bikes. Soon we'll be offering a Drink Holder for the flip up armrest, it'll swivel as the armrest is raised or lowered, ie, your drink will always be vertical, no spillage.